Monday, August 16, 2010

Day Two - Fishbones

So, day two. I wake up in the tent, and it is SUPER COLD. Not only is it cold, but I'm basically laying on the ground, as the half inflated air mattress has lost a substantial amount of air overnight. I throw on a sweatshirt, and wake up Silas. I'm SO excited, and I need him to wake up. We wander down to the bathrooms, and the map shows a shower house right next to the bathrooms. There is no showerhouse. There is one shower. In a bathroom stall. For our entire section of the camp. Oh well. We shower up, and get ready to depart. Our plan is to hit the National Seashore, as it's National Parks weekend, so everything is free. Of course, we don't intend on just hitting any old beach. We're heading up to Provincetown!

We make the hour trek, with my natural instincts for direction getting us off course only once, and we get into Race Point beach pretty early. We find a spot, and my next inclination is... seashells. I swear they are one of my only vices. When near a beach, I must collect. I con Silas into going into the FREEZING cold water, and we discover... rocks. Lots of rocks. Beautiful rocks. But no seashells. We return to our blanket, and hang out for a while until I decide that enough time has passed and surely something must have washed up by now. And sure enough, something did. A fish spine has washed up on the beach, completely cleaned by the ocean. I decide that it must be mine, and make Silas return back to the water to catch it, which is a comical display in and of itself. People are looking at me funny as I proudly walk back with my treasure, completely intact bones  of what MUST be a shark, or something equally cool.

Soon after, we plastic baggie the fishbones and assorted sand we found, and head into the shops within Provincetown. May I be the first to say that the atmosphere within Provincetown is extremely open, and while there, a large group of men dressed in prom dresses held a tea party on their front lawn and invited us for a cup of tea. It certainly made for an interesting day. We hang out for a while, and get really exhausted before deciding to head back. At this point, we need to find a grocery to buy food, but have no idea where to go. By the way - there is not an app for that. I looked.

We see a Christmas Tree Shop on our way back, and finding the Christmas Tree Shop workers to be a friendly bunch, we beg them for the nearest grocery location. It's just down the street, so we wander in, exhausted for the fixings for hamburgers. I've brought the hamburger meat with me, and the cooler is still holding its own, in part because of mild weather, and I'd like to think, in part because of my incredibly intelligent water freezing scheme.

We get the fixings, get back to the site, and realize that I've brought hamburger with me (all the way from Rochester) that was expired one day BEFORE we left. Oh Wegmans, how could you have steered me so wrong? We go back out, get hamburgers, and bring them on back where we settle in for the night. It's an early turn in for us, and hopefully, a late wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment