Sunday, July 25, 2010

DIY Bench

So, while Si is at camp, I've undertaken a redesign of the house. It's only the first day, and I've started with cleaning, and at 11:30am, I've already been to two stores, purchased foam, fabric, and spraypaint, and begun my own cushioned bench. Why a bench you might ask? Well, our foyer is quite empty, and in the winter (and summer), it drives me crazy to balance on one foot while trying to get my shoes off and get comfortable. A bench, I think, might do the trick. 

To make your own bench - here are the steps:

First, I already had a table I had purchased way back in high school, for $4 at a garage sale. I'd previously covered it with a black sheet in order to cover it up, but now, I'm looking to uncover it and jazz it up. Here's what it looked like when I started: 


I purchased a can of black spray paint, and after I got through the first coat, it already looked ten times better. Check it out below: 


After applying two more coats of spray paint, I moved on to the cushioning phase. Because I'm using a light fabric color, I went for a white foam, and it just happens that the table is about the same length as the foam that they make for baby bumpers (and they come 5 to a pack at JoAnns Fabrics!). Here's what it looked like when I started laying on the cushioning:


I put two layers on the bench - not because it was super necessary, but if we ever have to use it for additional seating, I want to ensure that it's comfortable enough. After the cushioning was fitted (I hot glued it down to secure it), I flipped the table over onto the fabric that I had previously chosen. 20 staples later, and here we are!


There was some remnant fabric left over, so instead of letting it go to waste, I quickly whipped up some adorable pillows to tie in the living room with the foyer. Since I don't have a sewing machine, I used HeatnBond Ultra Strength bonding tape, which only requires an iron and minor skill. Here's what the completed pillows look like: 


And here's the bench in it's new space!



No comments:

Post a Comment